Monday, May 7, 2012

1
Thank You

Postponing my weigh in tonight to talk about being thankful...

Thankful that my baby boy is home and hopefully on the mend...


Saturday night Jackson was restless all night and started to run a fever overnight.  He peaked at 103 degrees Sunday morning when we were finally able to get it to come down with some Motrin and Tylenol.  He seemed ok during the day Sunday, playing, eating, and drinking well.  Sunday afternoon and evening he began to run a fever again and it had worked up to 105 degrees.  He was miserable, wouldn't eat or drink, and Jess and I thought it best to take him in to urgent care. 

Honestly I thought we would see the doc, get an antibiotic, and be home.  When they hooked Jackson up to get a set of vitals his oxygen level was 93% and his respiratory rate was in the 60's.  We were concerned but he was running a fever and exhausted.  We tried to get his fever down and see if his condition improved and when it didn't the Doctor recommended some breathing treatments and some suctioning. 

NT Suctioning used to be one of my favorite things to do at work.  I know it sounds just wrong but I really did like sucking all that junk out of people so they could breathe well again.  I don't think I will ever see that the same after I saw that happen to my child. 


Halfway through the evening Jackson was so terrified of anyone who walked in the room that when he heard the door knob he would whip around to see the door and latch onto me tight.  After two breathing treatments, suctioning, and a chest X-ray showing some thickening in his lungs the Doctor came in to talk to us.  At that time I really thought we were just going to go home with an antibiotic.  When the Doctor said he is just working to hard to breathe for us to let him go home I felt like someone kicked me in the stomach. 

I can not imagine what parents of chronically or critically ill children undergo.  I knew Jackson would be fine, I knew the physicians were being cautious, and yet I was a mess of emotions.  I felt bad that I waited all day to take him in, that he was so miserable, and most of all I wanted to take it all away.  He was so very scared.  I have never seen him scared of people; he is always so friendly.   I just kept telling myself; I rather him be scared and fighting than too weak or sick to put up a fight. 

We settled into the hospital around 10pm hoping that Jackson would start drinking again and that his fever and breathing effort would improve.  His oxygen levels had improved after the breathing treatments at the urgent care center.  Overnight Jackson required some suctioning and spiked another 105 degree fever.  It was a long night of little sleep but by about 3am I could tell he was turning a corner. 

My snuggle bug trying to sleep in his cage bed.

After a few hours of sleep for our little man he woke up hungry, thirsty, and fever free.  As soon as the doc saw Jackson this morning she was confident we would be able to manage at home!   He has run a fever tonight and developed pink eye in both eyes this afternoon but he is in much better spirits and playing again.  It is just a matter of time until this little boy is up and running again. 

So thankful to be home, for the love of my family and friends, for everyone who said prayers for us, for all the kind words people sent us, for all the sweet nurses who cared for Jackson, for the strength of children, and for the cuddles my little boy has been so generous with these past two days.  I feel so blessed that my son is happy and healthy most days.  Tonight my prayers go out to children and their families that deal with illness everyday, please pray for these little angels and all that they endure. 
 


1 comments:

Vanessa said...

There is no greater fear we feel than watching one of our loved ones struggle with illness. But, there is no greater joy than to see them get well and blossom again!

Post a Comment