Sunday, June 26, 2011

0
Thankful

I have never truely experienced devastation in my lifetime nor do I want to, but this weekend I got to see a tiny piece of the devastation from the tornado in Joplin Missouri.




Everywhere you looked the tops of trees were snapped off, huge hunks of metal lay twisted and out of place, and houses and buildings lay in ruins.



I have never been more thankful for the roof over my head, my warm bed, and my family.  It has been more than a month since the deadliest tornado in years struck Joplin and yet if you told me it happened just yesterday, I would believe you.  I can not imagine taking shelter during a storm, like many of us in the midwest are used to doing, and emerging to see this nightmare when it was all over. 



The destruction was so terrible I asked Jess if we could leave after driving just two blocks.  I had seen enough.  My heart ached for the people who lived and lost in that place.  The terror and pain they must have endured and yet they are picking up the pieces and moving on.  So powerful and amazing.


I told Jess, I wouldn't know where to begin.  I put so much importance on the things in my life, and here are people who's things are scattered about and gone forever. 


Today when we returned from our trip I looked at my house a little differently.  The things I hate about our house don't seem to matter much tonight.  Our house is a home and that's all that matters.  God has blessed me with a lot in my life and I am so very thankful for all that have.  

Have a blessed week and please pray for the people of Joplin!! 
 


0 comments:

Post a Comment